Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

Powder (Dry) Laundry Detergent

Have you ever wondered why when you have children you have to use a different detergent on their clothing? Everyone knows that they have more of a "sensitive skin." But many people don't understand that there are actually harsh chemicals in store bought brands like my favorite Purex and my Mother's favorite, Tide. There are actually even harmful chemicals in "kid-friendly" products such as Dreft. You really need to read the labels to make sure you are getting the right product for your family. And always remember, corporations are there to make money, not to look out for your health. 

There are two options in my opinion for laundry detergents:

(1) buy 100% Organic (Not just Natural)
(2) Make your own at home (That's what I'm experimenting with today)

This is the ingredient list that I pulled off of amybayliss.com... I love her blog <3

(1) Cup Washing Soda (Salisburyians - Get at Giant)
(1) Cup Borax (At most stores in Laundry Isle)
(1) Bar of Soap (I used a soap I picked up at a local market made by sallyeander soaps) - it smells really good :)))
- NOTE: A lot of people are using Castile soap but I have yet to find bars of soap of it anywhere in the Salisbury area. 


Grate the soap and mix it in with the washing soda and borax. 

I bought a grater just for the soap so it wouldn't mess up my cheese one. I don't know if this is necessary but I felt like I needed to. 


I also used a glass lemonade holder that I've only used maybe twice in three years to be my cute container. 


Lastly, use 1TBSP per load :) super easy!!! 

I did my first load and the clothes came out absolutely amazing! Give it a try and let me know how it works for you!!!

God Bless,

Jessica Weber

2 comments:

  1. I still really want to try this. And I love the jar you keep yours in. How are you liking it still?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe thank you! They have mega cute ones at target and Marshall's too. I still love it! It keeps my clothes so clean!

    ReplyDelete