Pages

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Quick Healthy Breakfast for Your Bundle of Joy

Nowadays everyone wants what is most convenient. It's a fact that American lifestyles are busier now than ever before. Unfortunately convenience comes at a price, mostly to our health and our wallet. But there is GOOD news! A little preparation can go a long way!

I have raised Liam, my 9 month old son, the least convenient way possible. But I am learning to prep more which makes my life a little more easier. I have chose to breastfeed him and make all of his meals myself. If you breastfeed, you know that some days can just be a day of breastfeeding. Which makes it a job on it's own, but today I am going to share with you an easy oatmeal breakfast that is not only healthy but tasty. Your little ones are sure to love it!

What you will need:
(1) bag of organic oats
(1) bag organic apples & Cinnamon
(1) pint of organic yogurt
Blender

(if you can't splurge on organic than non organic fresh items are always going to be better than prepackaged anything)

In your blender, blend all the oats until they are a fine powder. 
NOTE: I do this as soon as I come home from the grocery store and store them in a BPA Free Plastic Container. You can use this also in a Green Smoothie for yourself or as a thickener to other pureed fruits and veggies for you little one.

Next, using an apple slicer. Slice all the apples and throw away the cores. I don't peel my apples because Liam can handle the skins but if you have a little one that's around 6 month and is just starting out eating solids, you may want to peel them first.

I then boil or steam (steaming is healthier) the apples until they are nice and tender. I then add them to the blender (or baby bullet if you have one). 

Puree until the thickness you desire. If you need to add water, add the water from the pot you used to steam or boil the apples because nutrients from the apples are now in that water. 

Add Cinnamon & blend together with the apples and you have homemade apple sauce!!! It will last 3 days in the fridge or for a month in a regular freezer. I put mine in ice cube trays or use the silicone tray that comes with the baby bullet and freeze them in to serving size pieces. I then pop them out once frozen and label them on a bag "apple sauce" and throw them all in a freezer safe zip lock bag. This way you can just pull them out and dethaw them in the fridge when needed.

I actually do the above step for everything I make. In this example I used a little container that I froze and dethawed in the fridge. 

I do both my apples and my oats as soon as I buy them from the grocery store. I usually grocery shop and prep on a Sunday. I actually do all of my grocery shopping for a month at one time, but that will be another post on it's own.

After you have your serving size of apple sauce and your oats blended. Every morning I just reach for my oats, a serving size of apple sauce, and my organic yogurt.

I add the oats first, then yogurt, and then the apple sauce and mix until I get the texture I want which is a little more chunkier now then when Liam was 6-7 months. 


And voila! You have a nice healthy breakfast in one minute flat each morning.

You don't have to use apples, you can mix it up with other fruits like bananas, strawberries, blueberries, and so on. 

If you have any questions, please contact me at anytime. 

God Bless,

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment