Pages

Monday, March 31, 2014

Cleaner, Greener Home

When I was about 12, I started being exposed to a cleaner living lifestyle. I actually got this exposure by the "Green Movement" in Hollywood at the time. I was instantly drawn in and went through a phase where everything in my bedroom was white, I had a million candles everywhere, I bought yoga supplies, a yoga DVD, and some essential oils that I had no idea at the time what they were for.

I was limited to where my family would drive me to get things, so I relied on bath and body works in our local mall, who at that time had jumped on the green bandwagon and was carrying a line of eco friendly products. Little did I know but this would be the starting point to a long devoted life to doing the right thing for myself, the environment, and my future family.

As I grew older and in to my teenage years, I wasn't anywhere close to a natural living person. I, like many other 15-16 year olds, were in to one thing and one thing only, MYSELF. I had a boyfriend, a great group of friends, and just an overall great worry free life!!! I started attending college in 2007, right after I graduated high school and instantly wanted to be out on my own and I wanted my own place. There was just one problem, I didn't have the money to do so. It took me a good 2.5 years to actually be able to move out with the help of Matt, my now husband.

We moved in to a small, one bedroom apartment. It was perfect for us because we both attended college and worked within a couple blocks from where we lived. Around the same time we had also started attending our Church which was also right down the street. As many of you also can relate, we were totally broke college kids. We literally we're living off ramen noodles and spaghetti for the majority of that first year. I had a budget of $60 for food, house products, going out, literally everything for a week. 

I then started becoming more eco conscious, not for the environment but because we were too broke to pay a large heat or electric bill. We unplugged everything! If you wanted to get on the internet, you actually had to plug it in and wait forever to connect. If you wanted to heat up anything, you first had to plug in the microwave or toaster. It was like this with everything! We also froze in the winter and couldn't stand being inside in the summer. I lived off fans and blankets. 

When we bought our home in the beginning of 2011, we were making more money but still brought those same habits with us. As time went by, we were able to afford more luxury items but I still always had my eco conscious roots telling me to do things differently. 

When I was put on bedrest in 2012, things went full speed with our eco lifestyle. We were now living off one income and I was home all day going stir crazy in bed. I started putting lists together of different goals I had for our home and learned way too much about how many toxins we subject ourselves to on a regular basis. I decided then, things needed to change! 

I have since then been slowly changing over our lifestyle habits to be more healthy and green. Throughout the next couple weeks, I am going to be sharing some habits of ours as well as some do it yourself recipes for your home as well yourself.

If you would like to see any specific topics in this series, please let me know in the comment section.

Thank you for reading!

God Bless,

Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment